Is Our Bachelor of Science in Biology for You?
How are living things created? How do they function?
If these kinds of questions intrigue you, explore earning your Bachelor of Science in biology or Bachelor of Science in teaching of biology degree from South Carolina State University. Our biology program offers many distinctive advantages, including:
- Experiential learning opportunities: Gain hands-on experience in your biology major classes as you develop valuable insight and sharpen your problem-solving skills.
- Cutting-edge facilities: Deepen your understanding of the world around you in our state-of-the-art facility biology classes, which houses the only cancer biorepository at a historically black college or university (HBCU).
- Collaboration on major national research: Our $24 million in research grants offers you the opportunity to conduct research with faculty.
- Preparation for what’s next: Courses in biology prepares you for graduate school, a teaching career, or a career in medicine, dentistry, biomedical sciences, environmental sciences, and more. Our Summer Exam Preparatory Institute helps you study for graduate school entrance exams.
Differentiate yourself with a specialized Bachelor of Science in biology degree
B.S. in biology, environmental science minor
B.S. in biology, concentration in applied oncology honors sciences
Method of Instruction
Why Choose Our Bachelor of Science in Biology Program?
Our biology classes help you take a deep dive into the biological world. Your courses in biology are designed to provide you with a fundamental comprehension of biological sciences while allowing you to drill down into specific areas of biology that intrigue and inspire you.
You’ll enjoy opportunities to:
Develop industry insights
Anchored by renowned faculty members, our courses in biology are taught by experts in embryology, cancer biology, molecular biology, microbiology, environmental biology, biotechnology, neuroscience, plant biology, and environmental science.
Succeed through superior support
Take advantage of our innovative Freshmen Care Center. You will benefit from sessions on time management and study skills as well as valuable assistance with advising on biology classes, class schedules, and careers.
Build deep connections
Students who pursue biology major classes join a variety of study groups, student organizations, honor societies, and social groups. From the Beta Kappa Chi and Beta Beta Beta honor societies to the Health Professions Society and Sisters in STEM, you’ll be well-connected at SC State.
Graduate with low or no debt
South Carolina State is frequently rated as one of the most affordable four-year schools in the Palmetto State. Obtaining a highly respected and valued Bachelor of Science in biology degree at an affordable cost means you’ll enjoy an excellent value for your investment.
Ways to connect through student-led organizations, clubs, and Greek organizations
In biology research grants, allowing student and faculty collaboration
Public, land-grant HBCU in South Carolina
What Can I Do With a Biology Degree?
Opportunities for careers for those pursuing biology major classes span nearly every corner of business, nonprofit, educational, and nature-based industries. Your biology major classes prepare you for exciting careers and job titles.
Some you may already know:
- Environmental scientist
- Food scientist
- Forensic scientist
- Genetic testing counselor
- Genomic specialist
- Nature conservation officer
- Nurse or nurse practitioner
- Pharmaceutical or medical device sales rep
- Science content writer
And some you may not yet have discovered:
- Astrobiologist — study the effects of outer space on living organisms and hunt for extraterrestrial life
- Bioclimatologist — study how climate affects humans, animals, and plants
- Cryobiologist — study the effects of ultra-low temperatures on living organisms
- Bioinformatician — develop methods for studying and problem-solving through computer applications
What is the earning power of a career with a Bachelor of Science in biology?
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates almost 114,000 new jobs will be created in the life, physical, and social sciences through 2030, with a median annual salary of $65,000. Positions for medical scientists, for example, are expected to increase by 17% through 2030, a much higher rate than the average for all occupations.
What Biology Classes Will You Complete?
Your biology major classes and selected minor and concentration coursework will immerse you in many unique and varying topics. Courses in biology include:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Computer Technology
- Earth and the Environment
- Environmental Chemistry
- Plant Physiology
- Technical Communication
- Vertebrate Physiology