Skip To Top NavigationSkip To ContentSkip To Section NavigationSkip To Footer
FAQ - Counseling & Self-Development Center

FAQ - Counseling & Self-Development Center

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the SCSU Counseling and Development Center?

The SCSU Counseling and Self-Development is a student service agency within the Division of Student Affairs. SCSU Counseling and Self-Development Mission Statement: The South Carolina State University Counseling and Self-Development Center’s mission is to provide premier mental health and wellness resources to its students. We provide holistic, inclusive services supported by recent best practices through on-site support and community partnerships. 

Who is eligible for services?

All currently registered students are eligible for services at SCSU Counseling & Self-Development. You will be asked to show your SCSU ID Card at each visit.

What types of services are provided?

SCSU Counseling & Self-Development includes, and is not limited to, individual, group, and couples counseling, crisis intervention, alcohol and other drug assessment and counseling and referrals. The center also offers a wide variety of workshops and presentations on mental health topics for student organizations, residence halls, and the university community.

How do I see a counselor?

The best way to see a counselor is to download the intake packet and have it emailed to with "Request for counseling services" in the subject line. At that time, your packet will be reviewed and you will be contacted about next steps to set up an appointment. This will ensure you have time set aside just for you.

We also accept walk-ins during regular business hours, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Please refer to the after-hours/emergency protocol about access to care

What kinds of groups are offered?

A variety of groups are offered each semester and are determined by the voiced needs of the students. A group is formed when people with similar issues want to discuss and work on their common concerns. Groups may be short‑term or on‑going and consist of four to twelve people. 

How much do services cost?

Services are at no cost to students. You must be enrolled for the current semester at the time services are requested and present a student ID at the time of service. If it is the end of the semester, you must be registered for the following semester to participate.

What is the process for obtaining support through the OSDS?

If a student needs Disability Services, Cammy Grate will make contact with the initial paperwork. Once it is complete, the student is required to meet in person at the Counseling & Self-Development Office. During this face-to-face contact, the Office of Disability Services Manager will probe for information to help the student with his/her needs for classroom accommodation.

Important Notes for Disability Services

For any office visit, the student must receive a hard copy of the Accommodation Orientation Packet each semester. This packet can be sent to the student via email for phone and/or email request.

In the Orientation Accommodation Packet, the student will receive a Greeting Letter. The student will then receive the Disability Accommodations process.

For more information, please contact Mrs. Grate at