Skip To Top NavigationSkip To ContentSkip To Section NavigationSkip To Footer
Scholarships and Fulbright Awards for Students and Faculty

Scholarships and Fulbright Awards for Students and Faculty

The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS)

In the CLS program, students spend eight to ten weeks abroad over the summer studying one of 15 critical languages. The CLS Program, a program of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, is part of a U.S. government's initiative to expand the number of Americans studying and mastering foreign languages that are critical to national security and economic prosperity. CLS Scholarship awards are up to $8,000.

Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship

Thinking of studying or interning abroad? Receive up to $5,000 (or up to $8,000 if you’re studying a Critical Needs Language) to go abroad on an in-person program as a college student if you’re a U.S. citizen and Federal Pell Grant recipient! The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship application is open to citizens or nationals of the US. Students must be in good standing.

Boren Scholarships

The Boren Awards fund the intensive study of language and culture abroad for Undergraduate and Graduates Students.

Gilman-McCain Scholarship

Receive $5,000 if you are a child or spousal dependent of an active-duty military member and receive any type of Title IV Federal Financial Aid to go abroad on an in-person program.

Fulbright Awards

The Fulbright Program, including the Fulbright–Hays Program, is one of several United States Cultural Exchange Programs with the goal of improving intercultural relations, cultural diplomacy, and intercultural competence between the people of the United States and other countries, through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills. Via the program, competitively-selected American citizens including students, scholars, teachers, professionals, scientists, and artists may receive scholarships or grants to study, conduct research, teach, or exercise their talents abroad; and citizens of other countries may qualify to do the same in the United States.

Additional U.S. Government Scholarships and Programs that allow for study and research abroad can be found at USA Study Abroad.  These include:

  • John McCain International Scholarship for Children of Military Families
  • The Congress Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX)
  • The Boren Award for International Study
  • The Language Flagship
  • Project GO
  • Fulbright-hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Fellowship
  • Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships
  • Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program
  • Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Student Scholarships
  • Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program
  • Ernest F. Hollings Scholarship
  • Cobell Scholarship
  • Greater Research Opportunities (GRO) Undergraduate Fellowship
  • Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation
  • Hubert Global Health Fellowship
  • National Science Foundation (NSF)
  • NIH Fogarty International Center
  • NOAA Educational Partnership Program Undergraduate Scholarship
  • Registered Apprenticeship Program
  • Saul T. Wilson Jr., Scholarship Program
  • Science, Mathematics and Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship for Service Program
  • Science to Achieve Results (STAR)
  • Stokes Scholarship Program
  • Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship
  • Udall Undergraduate Scholarship
  • USDA/1994 Tribal Scholars Program
  • USDA 1890 National Scholars Program
  • William F. Helms Internship Program

For assistance with Fulbright Scholar and Fulbright US Student programs contact Dr. Learie Luke at For assistance with scholarships contact Dominique Rolle at