Skip To Top NavigationSkip To ContentSkip To Section NavigationSkip To Footer


If you need assistance with tuition, room and board, textbook materials, or other college-related expenses, you may qualify for need-based grants (financial aid awards that do not have to be repaid). These grants are funded by the federal and state government, as well as by South Carolina State University and private organizations.

While grants generally do not have to be repaid, some grants may come with such stipulations as grade point average (GPA) requirements, program assignments, and required credit hours. As you review your financial aid awards, it's important to understand and abide by any grant requirements to ensure that your grant money is able to be fulfilled.

Think you might qualify for a grant?

Discover more about financial aid grants at SC State and what to expect after filling out your FAFSA form below.

Discover Grant Funds at South Carolina State University

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant Program awards grants to undergraduate students (meaning you have not received a bachelor's degree or professional degree in any area). Pell Grant eligibility is determined by a formula used by the Department of Education.
If you receive a Federal Pell Grant, you are subject to a lifetime maximum of 12 semesters or its equivalent. The calculation of the duration of your eligibility will include all years and terms you received the Federal Pell Grant. Graduate students are ineligible for this federal grant.

Learn more about Pell Grants

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The need-based Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program (FSEOG) awards grants to eligible low-income undergraduate students. Awards are dependent on the availability of funds and can range from $100 to $4,000 per year. Only undergraduate students are eligible for this grant.

Learn more about the FSEOG program


Passionate about empowering youth? Looking to begin a successful and fulfilling career in public education?
The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program offers grants for graduate and undergraduate students who intend to serve schools in low-income communities. To fulfill the requirements for this grant, you must commit to teaching full-time in high-need subject areas for at least four years. If you fail to complete the four-year teaching obligation after accepting the grant, you will be responsible for repaying the grant with interest.

Learn more about the TEACH grant and how you can qualify

South Carolina Need-based Grant (SCNBG)

The South Carolina General Assembly sponsors the South Carolina Need-based Grant (SCNBG). You may qualify for this award if you have a cumulative 2.0 GPA, are enrolled in at least 6 credit hours, and are a resident of South Carolina. SCNBG funds cannot exceed $2,500 per academic year. You must complete a FAFSA each academic year in order to maintain your eligibility.

Learn more about the South Carolina Need-based Grant Program

Contact Us

Have more questions about grants and how to apply for them? Contact the Office of Financial Aid and we'll respond as soon as possible.

Office of Financial Aid